Friday, November 17, 2006

At least it wasn't more meat and potatoes...

So moved was I (not!) by this dining experience at Cuba Libre in Littleton, CO (about 20 miles south of Downtown Denver) that I had to add my own review to the Citysearch website. Okay, okay...what I was really moved by were the entertaining reviews that preceeded mine. Check it out...

When I arrived at Cuba Libre, the first thing that struck me was the very odd decor for what I expected would be a Cuban (or at least Cuban Fusion) restaurant. Of all the Cuban restaurants that I've ever patronized in North or South America, I have to say that this is the first to have the "Breckenridge-Ski-Lodge" look. Sorely lacking was anything remotely Cuban. No Cuban flags, no cigar memorabilia, and no salsa music, although I didn't mind the reggae. I hoped the food would contain enough Latin flair since they had clearly overlooked that detail when they designed the place. (Actually, this building MUST have been home to some other restaurant in a previous life, unless Fidel has some Ski Resorts outside Havana of which I am not aware.)

I arrived after 9pm on a Thursday, and there was not much of a crowd. After being greeted by the now legendary owner (thanks to lady_port 's citysearch review from 10/7/2006), we were promptly seated in one of the booths. It was no surprise that the list of specialty cocktails contained the obligatory mojito as well as some other ambitious takes on some caribbean libation favorites. However, neither of the 3 drinks ordered by my party was particularly spectacular, nor was their presentation terribly impressive. (This bartender wouldn't cut the mustard on either coast.)

The food was by no means the best Cuban food I've ever had, however, I must say that the chef was much more meticulous in his presentation than was the aforementioned bartender. Unfortunately, however, neither the tostones appetizer , nor the rack of lamb and yucca churros (curiously, no hint of yucca was detected) left me anticipating my next visit. While mediocre, the food was at least a sharp departure from the meat and potatoes fare that is the norm in metro Denver. Since that's what I was looking for on this night, the experience was not a total disappointment. Dessert was, however. Their interpretation of Tres Leches cake was barely recognizable. It was neither wet, nor sweet, looking more like something that Hostess might sell in bulk, than a sweet treat at a nice restaurant. Like I said, it’s not the best Cuban food, but at least its not meat and potatoes.

No comments: